Think on these things…Part Two of Three

Part two of three – Think on these Things – A Study of Philippians 4:8. If you would like to read part one, click here.

We left off on Just or Right, next is

Pure

One of the definitions of pure is; wholesome, free of any contaminations.

To have 100% pure and wholesome thoughts is difficult, there is not a day that goes by that we have a “questionable” thought that enters our head. Satan tempts us to think about those things.

Psalm 119:9-10 says

How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word.

With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!

If we stray from God’s commandments, His Word, we open a door for Satan to tempt us and put thoughts into our heads that are not pure or right. We need to fill our minds with the purity of God’s word.

Psalm 12:6A says

The words of the Lord are pure words

Wholesome is another word for pure, it means to conduct or promote well-being. When I think of the word ‘wholesome’ I think of wholesome food; food that fills and satisfies us.

God’s word is wholesome food for our spiritual body, it can fill us up and satisfy. Have pure and wholesome thoughts that are full of God’s wholesome word.

Psalm 107: 9 says

For He satisfies the longing soul,

And fills the hungry soul with goodness.

We can have pure thoughts through God and His Word, and when we do, we will be filled with joy, peace, and other good things.

Lovely

How can we fill our minds with lovely thoughts? When I think of lovely things, I think of God’s creation, and the amazing things He has made. From nature to the animals, to every human being. God has created it all.

The word lovely is often defined as beautiful, generous, and gracious. Having lovely, gracious thoughts, not only towards God but others as well.

Ephesians 4:29

Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.

While the primary focus of this passage of scripture is emphasizing a focus on Jesus and letting Him be the boundary of our hearts and minds, it is a list of things we need to fill our minds with, a list of ways we should act and speak.

When we think of these things, we will want to act and speak like them too.

To think upon that which is lovely is to think upon things that push us toward God’s heart and nature.

God has given us so much to enjoy in nature and the world around us, and to think on those things is lovely.

Psalm 19:1 says

The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork.

The last word we will cover in part two is

Good Report or Commendable

The only time the word “good report” shows up in the New Testament is here in our passage. It can be translated “highly regarded, gracious, well thought of, or speaking favorably.”

In my Sunday school class, I am teaching the book of Acts and the start of the early Church, and how after Jesus ascended into heaven the Holy Spirit came and filled each believer.

If Jesus lives within us through the indwelling Holy Spirit, then anything we do, say, or think, God hears it.

So, that means, the words on our lips and the thoughts in our mind should be pleasing and acceptable for God to hear.

If someone was to hear our thoughts, would we comfortable with that? Would we want someone to see our thoughts?

Would we be honored and willing to share our thoughts with the people around us because there is nothing shameful? Our minds need to be focused on whatever is highly regarded, by God.

Colossians 3:2 says

Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

God’s desire for us is that He would be the source of all we do, say, and think. If we are unwilling for others to see our mind, do we not realize that God hears our every thought? If our mind is dwelling upon whatever is of good report, then it will be pleasing for God to hear.

Psalm 19:14 says

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.

Part Three Next week!

Last Weeks Posts:

Monday’s Devotional: Think on These Things Part One

Wednesday’s Post: Favorite Kids books, music and Other Random Topics

New Page! Kids Books – I’ll be updating this page, along with My Reading List, once every couple weeks.